What identification or documents do I need in order to travel?

For travel within the United States

Travelers 18 years of age and older are required to show a valid, current U.S. federal or state-issued photo ID that contains the following: name, date of birth, gender, expiration date and a tamper-resistant feature. These IDs include:

  • Driver's licenses or other state photo identity cards issued by Department of Motor Vehicles (or equivalent)
  • U.S. passport
  • U.S. passport card
  • DHS "Trusted Traveler" cards (Global Entry®, NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST)
  • U.S. Military ID
  • Permanent Resident Card
  • Border Crossing Card
  • DHS-designated enhanced driver's license
  • Native American Tribal Photo ID
  • Airline or airport-issued ID (if issued under a TSA-approved security plan)
  • Registered Traveler Card (that contains name, date of birth, gender, expiration date, and a tamper-resistant feature)
  • Foreign government-issued passport
  • Canadian provincial driver's license or Indian and Northern Affairs Canada (INAC) card
  • Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC)

If you don't present an acceptable ID you may be subject to additional screening. Starting May 7, 2025, you won’t be allowed through the security checkpoint if you don’t have a REAL-ID compliant license or one of the other acceptable forms of identification listed above.

Note: TSA does not require children under 18 to provide identification when traveling within the United States.

For travel outside the United States 

All U.S. citizens and nonimmigrant aliens from Canada, Bermuda, and Mexico departing from or entering the United States from within the Western Hemisphere traveling by air are required to present one of the following:

  • A valid Passport
  • Trusted Traveler Program card (NEXUS, SENTRI or FAST)
  • U.S. Military identification card when traveling on official orders
  • U.S. Merchant Mariner document when traveling in conjunction with official maritime business. 

Note that children are also required to present their own passport when traveling by air. 

  • Requirements for lawful permanent residents of the United States are not changed by the implementation of WHTI. Lawful permanent residents must continue to present a valid Permanent Resident Card. A passport is not required.

For more information about international travel documentation, visit the U.S Customs and Borders Protection website. Some countries require a Visa. Visit the U.S Department of State website to learn more about Visa requirements.  

To answer all your questions about international travel, visit our International Travel and Security page.